Whether dolloped, spread, or piped, this is the perfect Vegan Dairy-Free Chocolate Buttercream.
The extra time that you add into beating the buttercream will be rewarded with a wonderfully light and fluffy consistency that you will find it very hard not to dip a finger into!
Sufficient to fill and cover an 8” cake
or to pipe on 12 cupcakes
250g dairy-free margarine
200g vegetable shortening
100g cocoa powder
1tsp vanilla extract
500g icing sugar
1-2tbsp soy milk (or any alternative milk)
- Begin by beating your margarine and shortening in a freestanding mixer until creamy and soft. It really is essential to have some kind of mechanical assistance for this job.
- Add the cocoa powder and vanilla and beat into a dark paste. Remember to scrape down the sides of the bowl and to the bottom to ensure that there are no lingering bit of plain marg/shortening left.
- Add your icing sugar gradually, ensuring that each addition is incorporated before added the next. You may need to scrape down your bowl a few times to make sure this is all combined. If you find that your buttercream is heavy, add a tablespoon or two of soy milk.
- Allow a good 5 minutes of beating, once all ingredients are combined, to create a wonderfully fluffy Vegan and Dairy-Free buttercream.
- Dollop, spread, or pipe this buttercream triumphantly over Vegan Dairy-Free Chocolate Cupcakes and enjoy!