A recipe so easy that I should be ashamed of myself! This Lemon Drizzle Loaf Cake requires mostly store-cupboard ingredients, takes no time at all to prepare, and costs very little (in terms of ingredients used - I am aware that a 40 minute bake is not free).
This is one of my most popular plant-based recipes and sure to become a favourite in your home too.
You will need a 2lb loaf tin, lined with a loaf tin liner
180⁰C / 375⁰F / Gas Mark 4 Oven Pre-heated
Makes one 2lb loaf cake
For the Loaf Cake:
275g self-raising flour
200g caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
zest of 2 unwaxed lemons
juice of ½ lemon
100ml sunflower oil
For the Drizzle:
juice of the remaining 1½ lemons
150g caster sugar
- Weigh the self-raising flour, caster sugar, and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Zest two lemons directly into the bowl. Only use unwaxed lemons for this recipe as no-one wants a cake full of wax! Thankfully, these are easy to get hold of and most supermarket lemons will be clearly labelled as unwaxed if they are.
- Add the juice of half a lemon along with sunflower oil and water - yes, water... just from the tap - to the bowl and stir everything into a pale yellow batter.
- Pour the cake batter into a lined loaf tin and bake for 40 minutes.
- Make a paste from the remaining zested lemons and caster sugar. Pour this onto your cake as soon as it comes out of the oven and leave to cool into a sparkling crown of sugar.
- Serve in fat slabs with a cup of tea.
Love this recipe? Try these ones on for size. Save to your favourites for later or print and keep forever
Discover all recipes
Hire me to write for you