A recipe so easy that I should be ashamed of myself! This Lemon Drizzle Loaf Cake requires mostly store-cupboard ingredients, takes no time at all to prepare, and costs very little (in terms of ingredients used - I am aware that a 40 minute bake is not free).
This is one of my most popular plant-based recipes and sure to become a favourite in your home too.
You will need a 2lb loaf tin, lined with a loaf tin liner
180⁰C / 375⁰F / Gas Mark 4 Oven Pre-heated
Makes one 2lb loaf cake
For the Loaf Cake:
275g self-raising flour
200g caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
zest of 2 unwaxed lemons
juice of ½ lemon
100ml sunflower oil
For the Drizzle:
juice of the remaining 1½ lemons
150g caster sugar
- Weigh the self-raising flour, caster sugar, and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Zest two lemons directly into the bowl. Only use unwaxed lemons for this recipe as no-one wants a cake full of wax! Thankfully, these are easy to get hold of and most supermarket lemons will be clearly labelled as unwaxed if they are.
- Add the juice of half a lemon along with sunflower oil and water - yes, water... just from the tap - to the bowl and stir everything into a pale yellow batter.
- Pour the cake batter into a lined loaf tin and bake for 40 minutes.
- Make a paste from the remaining zested lemons and caster sugar. Pour this onto your cake as soon as it comes out of the oven and leave to cool into a sparkling crown of sugar.
- Serve in fat slabs with a cup of tea.