The closest things to a healthy muffin that I have ever made! These are savoury and packed full of good fats and fibre. As well as being the perfect way to use up slightly soggy avocados, you can substitute these for sad looking bananas if you would like a sweeter breakfast.
Breakfast muffins, like these, are best enjoyed warm from the oven, with a newspaper, coffee, and friends.
This recipe was created exclusively for SMEG UK
You will need a 12x cavity deep muffin tin,
lined with paper cases
(The tulip style muffin cases work best)
190°C Oven Pre-heated
150g mixed grains (soaked in 150ml boiling water with 3tbsp instant coffee if dry)
250g plain flour
1 ½ tbsp baking powder
pinch of salt
6 tbsp maple syrup
130ml sunflower oil
180g mashed avocado
- Dissolve the instant coffee in 150ml of boiling water and pour this over the grains, leaving for 30 minutes to swell and absorb all but the tiniest amount of the liquid. Dry mixed grains are found in the Whole Food section of larger supermarkets and you can buy ready soaked grains in the pulses aisle (I have used Merchant’s Gourmet grains before). If you use ready soaked grains, dissolve the instant coffee in a tablespoon of boiling water and add this to the wet ingredients.
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Whisk the syrup, oil, and egg to combine before folding in the mashed avocado.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until only just incorporated.
- Spoon the muffin mixture into your prepared tin and bake for 18-20 minutes until risen and springy.
- Cool the muffins in their tins for 5 minutes before removing to cool on a wire rack. Serve warm, cut in half and spread with a little butter.